Thursday, December 9, 2010

Reader Response #3

"Captain's Club"


After finishing this story, I was sad for Tommy.  I really wanted him to be able to experience the big, bright, red moon with Tree.  I felt like that would have been the perfect ending to his very fortunate vacation for Tommy. 
Tommy was not the most liked guy in his class, but when no one else was able to go on a once in a lifetime vacation with CJ, Tommy was the lucky one to go.  Leaving who he loved most behind, his mother, it seemed like this vacation would never end well for Tommy.  Things started to look brighter when him and Tree, CJ's dad's girlfriend, started to do things everyday together.  He was having fun, trying to put his mom in the back of his mind, and enjoy his time with Tree.  I felt sad for Tommy by the end of the story because he had already been experiencing all these great things with Tree, it was like this was going to be the grand finale, only she was not there.  He was let down, Tree was let down, and I was let down.
The part of the story that came to a surprise to me was when CJ's father stayed behind on the last spot of their cruise.  CJ's dad was supposed to be enjoying this vacation with his son and his new found girlfriend, but instead he stays behind with their tour guide, feeding her the same line as he did with Tree: I need to find something for my sister.
In this story, I can most relate to CJ.  He is going on this cruise with his dad and his dad's girlfriend.  Anytime when they are supposed to do an activity all together, CJ runs off to the arcade.  My parents recently split up, and I know that when I go do something with my mom and her boyfriend or my dad and his girlfriend, I wish it was just the two of us.  And seems how it is never just the two of us, I run away when I can.  It is not that I do not like spending time with my parents boy/girlfriend, it is just I wish times were like they used to be.  In a way, CJ feels the same way I do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment